Final release had come. Tomorrow is officially the last day we have to work on the new «Betradar 2» web system, combining a ton of new features we have been working on for quite a while. I myself has worked on new statistics features, and it is finally finished. The last round of testing is over, and now I have more or less nothing more to do on it. The last hustles were the merging process which I have used the last two days on.

The one special feature I have been doing is the Live League Tables. But before I could make the live tables, I had to make a new controller for making «normal» league tables. This time static tables that are not calculated on the fly, but calculated as matches are finished, and stored in its own database tables.

The idea is simple. Instead of finding out how the table should look when a customer wants to look at it, then it’s calculated in advance, and stored. The load on the web server is quite diminished, and there is a wider possibility for customizing the tables in advanced ways. Adding more complex information to the tables are also quite suddenly possible. Like partial statistics (Last 10 matches), comparable statistics (GB), or building complex table structures (NBA, NFL).

As simple as it sounds, it took me months to finish. And I used several rounds of programming, searching and failing before I came to a solution which actually worked perfectly. The few breakthroughs where all linked to applying frameworks of some sort to automate some part of the development, or make easier to control the enormous information flow.

In total I ended up in creating 7 new tables in the database, although making some other obsolete. And as one day an old controller died that had taken care of maintaining some of the «old» tables, and I found myself unable to find and fix the bug, I simply made an extension to the new controller that «re-built» the same information (from the new tables), and put them into the old one’s, which contained more or less the same information.

One of the jobs I have ahead now is to try to phase out the uses of the old static systems, which is controlled by code that is barely maintainable, and the one who created it has quit, so when it needs some fixes, we have big problems just finding out what to make of it before one of the «older» guys takes care of the problem. Its tedious and quite irritating to be frank.

Sadly I cannot publish the link to the new web site yet, but I will when it goes public!